Chateau La Croix de Gay
Pomerol - Chateau La Croix de Gay
The origin of the château La Croix Gay and the Lebreton family is the hamlet of Pignon in the north of the Pomerol appellation, on the edge of the Barbanne River. It is in all likelihood the Pomerol historic village on the road leading from Saint-Emilion to Guitres. The old church dating from 11th century was 100 meters away in the center of the cemetery. The former rectory where the Abbot Trémolière hid, in 1793, the proscribed Girondins Barbaroux, Louvet and Valady is located in the heart of this hamlet.
The four hectares vineyard of Château La Croix de Gay is mostly composed of merlot. Some very old cabernets francs plot account for around 5% of the vineyards total surface. The vineyard is divided into 10 separate parcels. The terroir is gravel, sand and clay soils. The vines are on average close to 30 years of age. The vineyard is planted to a vine density of 5,000 vines per hectare.
Chantal Lebreton-Raynaud is presently in charge of the estate, guaranteeing that that wine she produces is in keeping with its status of “veritable ferruginous nectar” – as per the 1929 edition of the Cocks & Féret (“Bordeaux and its Wines”). This is an allusion to a major characteristic of Pomerol’s terroir (ironpan) that gives the wine roundness, makes it approachable young, and contributes typical aromas such as violet and truffle.